17 July 2014

other suns

I've been reading The Warmth of Other Suns.  This is not a book about Edwin Hubble, but it does, very briefly, mention his discovery of other solar systems: "a faint glimmer of distant light".  
I like that description.  I like thinking about what a phenomenal thing it was, this discovery, this concrete evidence of a universe much bigger than most people had heretofore fathomed.  Now almost a century has passed since Hubble made his observations and the universe is still much bigger than we can know, although we continue to try to measure it.  

Here's what I've been working on in the studio these last couple of weeks:

verna vogel studio

verna vogel studio

I've also spent some time working outdoors.  Shown below, sealing some finished works preparatory to varnishing, and doing some initial colour staining of canvas pieces prior to stitching:

verna vogel outdoor studio

verna vogel outdoor studio

The roses were blooming in front of the fence paintings a couple of weeks ago, and one night the light was a lovely warm yellow and everything was just glowing!  Camera almost captures that light:

verna vogel fence paintings

Things I like:

verna vogel

Other things I like:

verna vogel creative culinary

My culinary adventures go largely undocumented, but this one had got some ingredients from the garden so I could not resist a photo.  Green onions - planted from the ends of store-bought onions and grown to new heights! - and garlic chives and mint.  The rest is from the grocery store.
I do love a soup flavoured with mint and ginger.  Though the combination sounded odd to me at first it is actually very delicious, especially in hot weather.

Even this one small world is immeasurable to me.

3 comments:

P.D. Crumbaker said...

I love the work. As for the rest of the photographs, yummy and delicious seems to sum it all up. Not much writing lately, but hope to get back in the swing of things. I have been playing with a sketch app on my tiny Android phone - it's fun, and since I make no claims to being an artist, no risk. https://www.flickr.com/photos/9094620@N02/sets/72157645332105169/

Verna Vogel said...

Hi P.D.

Thanks for your compliments.

I had a look at your images/words on flickr and like what you are doing there! Have forgotten how to sign in to my own flickr account (been so long since I've used it) so could not leave any comment for you there.

Making images with no risk, yeah, that's the trick isn't it?

:)
V

P.D. Crumbaker said...

Yes, that no risk stuff is a lovely luxury, for sure.