Last week, in the middle of my month of daily paintings, I got a call to develop and teach an intensive week-long art project for grade 4-5 students - with only 6 days to prepare! Such short notice is not usual, but I managed to come up with a fairly large-scale project that turned out quite good.
Meanwhile, my daily paintings ground to a halt as the intensity of the class took up almost all my energy.
These images are of prep work I did a couple of weeks ago. I cut up a number of old paintings into pieces which I gesso'd in order to use them as grounds for future colour studies. I did not gesso over all the pieces though; I kept some and played with various combinations.
Today was a wrap for the class, so next week I will be able to focus on my own work again. Perhaps I'll takes some of these cut-up compositions and translate them into further studies.
Before getting into the studio, though, I'm going to tend to my houseplants, almost all of which sorely need repotting! That will make a good bridge between the two intense energies: the outward energy of teaching and the inward energy of the studio.
Somewhere in there I'll probably make a blog post about the recent class, too. It really was a lot of fun.
Until next time,