26 November 2017

Tension : No Tension.... the lead-up

I find it's a little nerve-wracking, you know, to have an exhibition for which there is no clearly defined plan.  It's a case of going into the space and seeing what I can make in a week... 

tension : no tension exhibition of string drawings by verna vogel artpoint gallery calgary

... a week during which I'll also be teaching an art class, working a shift at the store, meeting with the printer about a new catalogue for the next G9 exhibition.  

How I wish I could have the whole week uninterrupted!  No classes, no meetings, no customers!  Visions of getting into a meditative contemplative relaxed place from which to create this installation, this murkily perfect form in my head; to create something magnificent.

But, no.  There is always life which never stands still.  And perhaps that's a good thing... compressed moments of contemplative imagination are more precious and so more keenly appreciated, and this gives the art - and the life - its power.


tension : no tension exhibition of string drawing by verna vogel at artpoint gallery calgary alberta canada


As they say: " Join the club."  It's a pretty good club, all things considered.

Thanks for reading, and wish me luck!

2 comments:

pdcrumbaker said...

Oh, I wish I could visit this exhibit. The "lead-up" image immediately grabbed me!

dc

Verna Vogel said...

Hi Dianne,

Thanks! I like that image too - it's from a piece I made in 2014 when I was in an artist residency on Toronto Islands. This current show looks a bit different... I should post some photos of the work soon!

xoxo
V