30 March 2018

outside and inside

vernavogel studio day snow day
outside

inside my studio on a snow day
inside

Another snowy day.  I haven't made any pictures since the opening at CKG, so getting into my studio today feels particularly fine.  I am taking my own advice today: feeling unsure about this painting, I'm calling it finished.  For now.  :)

And from a technical viewpoint:

After a couple of colour layers the paper began to buckle.  So I flipped it over & soaked the back down & let it sit 20min or so.  Then I gesso'd the back.  With green-tinted gesso, which you can see now around the edges.  I like that green edge, and I also like how gesso-ing the back prevented the paper from buckling more, while allowing me to still work on the beautiful paper surface.


inside my studio on a snow day, acrylic on Arches paper 22x30
Acrylic paint and paper collage
on Arches 640gsm watercolour paper
22x30"

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Altogether gorgeous. Super idea, the back gesso. I have a friend who irons her work to keep it from buckling. I love what you've done. It's beautiful!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Thanks Barbara! I had thought about ironing the back, but was not sure whether the heat from the iron would affect the paints. I like the gesso edge very much too.

xoxoxo
V