06 October 2018

Bits and pieces from the studio

Bits and pieces from the studio these last few weeks...

Re-organization and clean-up:

re-organization and clean up - taking it all apart
taking it all apart

re-organization and clean up - putting it back together
putting it all back together

re-organization and clean up - tossing some of it out
tossing some of it out


Framing considerations:

framing consideration - more difficult than painting
this is more difficult than painting!

framing consideration - sometimes it works out all right
but sometimes it works out all right


Trucking along with colour layers on small oil paintings:

trucking along with colour layers oil paintings

trucking along with colour layers oil paintings

trucking along with colour layers oil paintings
none finished yet, but they begin to show promise


Trucking along with colour layers on larger oil paintings:

trucking along with colour layers larger oil paintings
not sure about the (very similar) colours

morning studio in natural light
morning studio in natural light


And in the life:

downtown building with little coloured square windows reflecting
downtown, before the epic snowfall

epic snowfall
front stoop, after the epic snowfall


4 comments:

David Janzen said...


Verna:
I admire your sense of order, a quality that comes across in your pictures. I crave order in this chaotic life but find my own urge to organize things thwarted at every turn. I appreciate your new work (I saw a few examples at Front Gallery a month or so ago. Choice visual quotations from a mid-century vernacular(?) Quite different from the stitched together urbanscapes that you were making a few years back. I love your weblog and want to purloin Rilke's words from your masthead.

PDCrumbaker said...

Epic snowfall in Alberta??!! Is it early for that sort of foolishness?? I'm headed for Toronto this week-end, which I do understand is not northern Ontario, but....just wondering.

Studio cleanout - wish I were around to scavenge your rubbish bins!

Hope things are going well. Looks as though you are staying steadily busy and always pushing the edge to the next thing.

dc

Verna Vogel said...

Hi David,

Thank you for your thoughts on my work, weblog and sense of order. It seems likely that l organize the physical things because the mental ones are often out of control. *laughs*

Mid-century vernacular - I like those words. Yes, inspired by the covers of grade school math books, and such things. Not intentional per se, you know how things just kind of show up.

By all means purloin Rilke's words, from wherever you can find them! He's pretty great. Robert Bly does the best translations.

I really love your work and your sense of humour too. You are The Master of image juxtaposition.

xoxoxo
V

Verna Vogel said...

Hi PD,

Nice to read from you again. Yes, here in Alberta we have at one time or another boasted of 14 inches in every month, ha. But truly, so much, so soon, is not exactly ordinary. We remain flexible and focus on the beauty - walking in a snowfall often puts me in mind of music.

I'd love to let you go through my rubbish bins! *laughs* Or even the drawers, before things get to the rubbish bin state. Just let me know when you're in town and we'll arrange it.

Thanks also for your compliments on my work. Am I pushing the edge? Hmmm, perhaps. Just trying to forestall boredom, really. *wink*

xoxoxo
V