08 November 2016

From the Archives (1)

I've been going through some old image files...

I went to Capilano College in 1994-6, enrolled in the Studio Arts Foundation program there.  I recently discovered, to my dismay, that the Studio Arts program no longer exists at what is now Capilano University.

While at the College, I applied for and received an international study grant which allowed me to live in Kuala Lumpur and study Fine Arts at the Institut Seni Lukis Malaysia.  It was a grand adventure, both exhilarating and at times very difficult, as all grand adventures are.  

Among other things I made some portraits while living and studying in KL.

self-portrait in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Portraits of Thain Cooi and Chine Sui made while living n Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Portraits of Laurent and Maria, made while living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

self-portraits made while living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Portraits made while living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

self-portrait made while living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

And I continued to make portraits when I returned to Canada.

portrait made while living n Vancouver, BC
portrait made while living n Vancouver, BC

portrait made while living n Vancouver, BC
portrait made while living n Vancouver, BC 



















It's interesting to look through older work, sort of nostalgic and also affirming: I've been at this art practice thing for awhile now, getting on a couple of decades.

Sometimes I feel frustrated with what seems a lack of worldly success... but then I think about all the twists and turns a life can take, and I feel fortunate to have been able to persevere with making art of one sort or another pretty much all my life.

There are many more archives and I may post some more images over the next few weeks.  It seems like a necessary sort of grounding exercise right now.

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

It is impressive -- both the work, and the steadfast dedication to such a
precarious profession. But there you have it -- you look around and
can't help but see how lucky you are, we are. Great thoughts.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Hi Barbara,

I just have figured out how to post people's comments again - they changed the blogger dashboard, haha.

So thank you for your comment! Yes, we are indeed, so very llucky.

xoxoxo
:)
V