15 August 2016

a deep joy

Among all the art forms, printmaking is unique.  It's very repetitive but then no two prints are exactly alike.  Creating beauty in this way is so calming, so meditative... a deep joy.  I am so happy to have taken it up again.  In the midst of this crazy old world, it's a very good tonic.

Today I pulled the last print in a series of 5 books I've been working on.  The books themselves are purchased - I've been printing on the pages, using collagraph plates and black ink.

hand printed books

verna vogel printmaking

collagraph plates used in my hand printed books

I think I am now a bit more proficient at printmaking, and the finished books have some appeal despite their imperfections.  The plates after use are, as always, very beautiful.


Yesterday I rolled a leaf and printed it!  Nice discovery.

maple leaf print


I have also discovered Nori Paste.  It is truly awesome for glueing delicate papers.

preparing the papers


Cleaning up my image files this evening, I came across two drawings made last month during a visit to the Heritage Weavers and Spinners Guild studio at Artpoint.

Heritage weavers and spinners guild

heritage weavers and spinners guild

Looms are very beautiful and intriguing machines, and fibre artists are beautiful and intriguing people.  


Until next time,

:)

3 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Verna,

Once again I am blown away by the beauty of what you've created and your dedication to working so hard.
Amazing.

Love your work.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Thank you Barbara.

I am definitely in "work-a-holic" mode these days! This is because I know I will be teaching again in a month or so and, while I love teaching, it does interrupt the flow of my studio work, so I am very intent on getting a lot done now. Also, my husband is out of town for a few days which means absolutely zero interruptions... a situation which in fact has its pros and cons. :)

xoxox
:)
V



P.D. Crumbaker said...

Love all of this. My secret wish is to become a printmaker before I'm done on this earth. You're always inspiring!

You will love what this woman has to say about looms. All of her writing is delicious - you have to scroll down a bit to get to "The loom at rest"

http://www.voicesofindustry.com/voicesofindustry/journal/