03 December 2017

soup and portraits

In a day or two I will post some photos of my recent exhibition opening; today it's soup and portraits.  This is the "no tension" part :)

Yesterday I spent some time with Jean Pederson and her mum.  We made roasted vegetable soup, had a lovely visit and also made a few quick portraits. 

jean pederson artist mom portrait copic markers
Jean's mum, by me
sharpie and copic markers in my 9x12 sketchbook

jean pederson mother portrait copic markers sketchbook
Jean's mum, by me
copic markers in my 9x12 sketchbook

jean pederson portrait of verna vogel copic markers sketchbook
me, by Jean
copic markers in my 9x12 sketchbook

I don't think I've ever used copic sketch markers for a portrait, but found I really like them!  I also really like Jean's portrait of me.


Roasted veggie soup:

3 carrots
3 yams
1 onion
glug of olive oil
1T cumin
1T coriander
cinnamon - jut a very tiny pinch!
butter
honey
salt & pepper

Chop carrots, yams & onion. 
Put into flat baking dish - lasagna dish or cookie sheet works well
Glug of olive oil, mix with hands
Add cumin & coriander & cinnamon
Cover with tin foil - make sure edges are closed to keep moisture in
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or longer

(if you get into the studio and lose track of time, no problem.  If the foil cover is fairly well sealed, the veggies can go for up to 3 hours, maybe longer, and still be fine)

Remove roasted veggies from oven and run them through a blender, adding water to make soup of the consistency you like.  
You will probably need to blend in batches.
Pour blended soup into large pot and heat through again.
Just before serving, add butter, honey, salt & pepper to taste.

We used carrots & yams, but you can basically roast any veggies and puree into soup.  It's very easy, and makes a delicious soup!  
Also - great way to use those veggies that are languishing in the fridge.


Soup and portraits: an excellent combination to feed body & soul!




4 comments:

pdcrumbaker said...

Soup and portraits! Love it. I'm a big soup fan. Use to have regular "Soup-A-Ramas" with friends and family in years past. This sounds like a good one, and nice have all that flavor tucked away with the oven doing the work.

Hope your exhibit goes well. It is finally soup weather here, a bit late this year, and really only a touch of wintry-ness. I'll take it.

Barbara Muir said...

I thought I commented on this. But of course that was a feeling of contact from seeing the post. Love the portraits. You are amazing. And the soup sounds delicious. No sugar or flour for almost two years -- yet life is incredibly sweet.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Hi Dianne,

"Soup-A-Ramas" yeah!!! Soup is the best thing ever, complete meal-in-a-bowl :)

Winter here has been quite mild so far, after a couple of dumps of snow. No -30C yet... I'll take it too!

xoxo
V

Verna Vogel said...

Hi Barbara,

I'm glad you connect with the portraits :) I seem to never tire of making them.
The soup would work without honey or sugar, just roast the veggies a bit longer and they will become more sweet. I can't eat anything containing gluten either. Got a pretty good cornmeal cake recipe, and sorghum & rice flours are all right in a limited sort of way. But, gluten-free bread sucks no matter how you slice it. *laughs*

xoxo
V