10 July 2019

"Mobile" sketches

Yesterday was all-day, all-in studio.

oil stick on paper, Mobile sketches

I was planning to stretch a canvas
and try drawing with oil sticks on it

oil stick on paper, Mobile sketches

but I felt too lazy to do all that prep work
and I've been feeling ambiguous about canvas lately anyway

oil stick on paper, Mobile sketches

So I cleaned up the studio a bit, and found a pad of bond paper
very lightweight, translucent, and acid-free

oil stick on paper, Mobile sketches

and drew on that instead with the oil sticks
plus a bit of oil medium with brushes & a rag to smudge

oil stick on paper, Mobile sketches

and: kapow!

I have used these very materials in my portrait books with excellent results (of the materials if not the image at times, haha). However, this bond paper is somewhat different from the various sketchbooks' papers, so just to be on the safe side I will wait a few weeks to see if the oil medium bleeds and/or stains, before going forward with this particular process.  Testing, always testing.

Regardless of the long-term outcome of this particular little body of work, I must say it was a fantastic studio day, very energized and leaving me feeling full of possibility.  Really, I just love drawing, in whatever form.


Now today is errands: tending to the ever-burgeoning garden, mowing the lawn, dealing with a bit of laundry, hitting up the library for more books and picking up groceries on the way home.  Maybe I'll even make dinner!


Ambitious, huh?

:)

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Super ambitious and good for you. Suspicious of canvas? I am dying to do more. I think I know what you mean. Look at what you accomplished -- so gorgeous these paintings and everything in the blog. Wonderful.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Verna Vogel said...

Thank you Barbara !!!
I'm glad you are dying to do more, your canvasses are so beautiful!

xoxoxo
V